Friday, June 15, 2012

JILL AVILEZ AND THE LOVE ABSURD - LIMITED POSSIBILITIES EP



ARTIST: Jill Avilez And The Love Absurd
TITLE: Limited Possibilities
ARTIST LINK: http://loveabsurd.com/
ARTIST COUNTRY: USA
LABEL: Self-Released
GENRE: Funk

Tracklist-
1 Loves No Good
2 Like I Do pt. 2
3 Bam Bom
4 Unlucky day

Before I get into the exhilarating nature of this band's music, I'd like to tell you all about the young lady that fronts the outfit. I first met Mizz Avilez last year through a mutual friend. I was having a sleep over, and Natalie told me a friend of hers was dropping by to say hi. Nat stepped outside for what seemed like forever, and when they finally came in, I greeted a girl with a tender, very pacific disposition. We got to smokin, and our attention was alternating between each other and "On Beams of Light", an episode I threw on of The Wonders of The Universe with Brian Cox [my generation's Carl Sagan]. Little did I know that she was all about Space, in love with Cosmology and Life. Something very joyous aligned that night… Time came shortly that she would have to go, and as she did, she said something I have never heard anyone say to supplant the word "goodbye": Good Vibes. I tell you, if I wasn't a fruitcake, I would have fallen in love with her just with that. It was the way she said it, in a very genuine manor, from the core of her being.

This first impression was among the best I've ever known. The very same happened when a few months later when I heard the entire band in action through soundcloud. This was a radically different vibe though, bursting with a zealous groove and a very striking reminiscence of a time when the intricacies of Jazz, Soul, & Rock came through as one, when a different beast known as Funk first made people shake they ass. I often wish I could have been there, or THEN, but this band came as more than just a throwback. It IS Funk, the Funk of today. Forget going back to a time of greasy, "powdered noses" and B.O., because in the comfort of our 21st century collapse, there exists The Love Absurd, and these gentlemen along with Jill have been something of a revelation to me. Listening to the way this project exudes a very purist approach, very apt in their modern application of a style going on four decades old confirmed to me that time is near meaningless when people have the talent, skill, but most importantly, the very genre in their hearts. They are the reason this blog exists, because they are a powerful reminder that beneath the oppressive, heavy hand of the corporate music industry, true music is indeed all around us. This is to be celebrated.

I remember listening to "Loves No Good" for the first time, and the only difference between this track and ones from the Seventies is most likely the use of digital means somewhere in the pristine mastering/production of the tunes. Like it matters. These guys are the real deal. There is a harmony in this band that I am sorry to say I have seldom heard around here in Southern Cali, but that only makes them worth while that much more. No one is left out, every sound has its place, much like all things are so intricately fitted into this glorious Universe that Jill is such a big fan of. Her sultry voice is indeed comparable to that of Ella Fitzgerald, and along such vibrant horns, super sexy bass work, shimmering synths, tight percussion, and guitar work that feels as much a part of the rhythm section as the section itself, I found something that makes me wanna throw on a white suit and dance like a goddamn fool. "Like I Do pt. 2" is one of the best in the free bunch of four, having a Roxy Music vibe that few can capture and shouldn't even try.

"Bam Bom" is an example of how the band is not stuck in one time or place, as it is something like Oingo Boingo, Ska-ish, having a mean guitar work with a Classic Rock feel to it that eventually joins up with the synthesizer for a fantastic twin-attack solo, a pairing I've never experienced. At press time, the four tracks listed here are available for free listens and downloads on Loveabsurd.com and on soundlcould at both soundcloud.com/jill-avilez and on soundcloud.com/williamborza. They are part of the upcoming "Infinite Possibilities" full-length album. It promises to be intense, very much looking forward to it. The effort has the hand of Doublehook Records producer William Borza in it, and from how things are sounding, this might be among the top accomplishments for all parties involved. That said, I want to thank each and every one who has made these tunes possible. You all have brought a smile to my face and a hope for tomorrow where music is concerned. And they are all lookers by the way… Can't wait to catch them live with all their sexy up in my face.
Good Vibes and Fair Winds...

No comments:

Post a Comment