Friday, July 20, 2012

NICHOLAS CHACON - EVERYTHING COMES TOGETHER



ARTIST: Nicholas Chacon
TITLE: Everything Comes Together
ARTIST LINK: http://nicholaschacon.bandcamp.com/
ARTIST COUNTRY: USA
LABEL: Self-Released
GENRE: Rock/Alternative/Psychedelic

Tracklist-
1 24/7 Open/Closed Minds
2 Gifts From The Mystics
3 Stars...
4 Betsy Carlson
5 It's Not The End ( I Love )


Meeting this youngster last year was one of that year's highlights. The night was cold as hell, the small warehouse space that was available at the time to my small circle of friends was still freshly theirs. Many things had been regaled to me about Nic before we met, and many of those things we happily share, the love of mysticism and Eastern Religions, Psychedelia, La Mari... He's a young man who has really been making the most and the rounds here in LA since he was transplanted from some 'burb I forget where. Fuck it, it doesn't matter, because in my opinion, this is the place for him. Almost as soon as he made it out here, he hit every bar, gig, and showcase he could get billed on [as well as those he instigates himself], and though I have not seen any of these, only the one from that Winter night, it was a very memorable scene.

"Everything Comes Together" is the group of songs I saw Nicholas play for the first time. After a very riveting and inflamed performance by his good buddy Gus Franco, Nic came on with a much more different approach. Mr. Chacon calls this a "Spiritual EP". Glad he does, too, because amidst getting caught up in his melodic, sincere, and sparkling performance of material, I remember telling our friend Dove something stupid like "You can see his aura". I guess I was probly looking at it. I saw something and I'm sticking to it. But the fact of the matter is, these songs, a set of garage rock tracks that show Psychedelic influence, and early Smashing Pumpkins, very Gish-like in some parts, actually, these songs are humbly self-recorded, and are best experienced live. No Question.

Though the feel of this EP is that of a very decent demo, I would be very pleased to see this re-recorded, recorded live, AND have a nice photo shoot to go with it, bundled up and be spread out like a cloud of toke to our polluted winds. Tracks of note for me are definitely "Stars..." and "It's Not The End ( I Love )", as these have an almost Interpol feel to them. These stood out to me that freezing night in the Valley and they still do. Nic has been composing like crazy since then, and has three other sets posted up on his bandcamp site at press time that everyone can tune in to... Some very negative circumstances led Nicholas to Los Angeles, but damned if I'm not happy he's here. He's in it for the right reasons, a truly musically-driven soul. This filthy town needs more of these crazy semi-jaded hippie-types.

No comments:

Post a Comment